26 February 2014

Day 97: Hand holding coin

The reason why I picked hands as a weekly theme is because they are kind of a base for learning the lines and the proportions. I haven't practiced on hands for quite a while, and I feel how my skill downgraded.

 Yeah, it would be the best to begin the routine of drawing with the sketch of a few hand poses. 
Well, we all know that is not easy in the everyday's mess, but try to implement it whenever you can. It really boosts the skill, and as you progress, you'll feel how the lines are more and more secure and firm.
It's the most practical and convinient thing you can practice on wherever you are.
I left some tips for drawing hands in the comments below.

4 comments:

  1. Tips for drawing the hand lineart:
    1) Try to "lock on" the lines of the hand with your eyes. Lock on the outer line of the hand that defines the shape first, and let the pencil slide as your eye follows the line. Then do the inner lines, but always watch out for the proportions.
    This requires some concentration.

    2) Try drawing quickly, shifting the view from the hand to paper rapidly (do not move your head, only the eyes)

    3) When drawing a certain section, it's very good not to rise the pencil, but keep it down on paper sliding until the whole section (i.e. finger) is complete.

    4) Do not waste the time using the eraser, leave the mistaken lines as a reference for the correct ones.
    This way you will see the real shape of the hand better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's a lot of letters.
    Anyways, when you get used to this, it can be applied to almost everything you redraw. I said "almost" because it can be done with still objects, not moving ones.
    I'm trying to learn that yet.

    Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps!

      I was told that I need to spend more time watching objects - I always draw to hasty - so it's a double exercise for me.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the tips! I will try them out. ^^

      Delete